Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day

In keeping with the holiday spirit, I am posting today. It' long overdue, I know.
A couple weeks ago, Lylli came home with a cool homework assignment. She had to design and build a trap for leprechauns. She was told that they are very tricky and small and that catching them is difficult, so she had to be creative. Now, keep in mind, she came up with the project on her own, Shane and I only helped her minimally.
She decided she needed a small box to capture him in. She made the outside of this box green (to blend in with the grass) and made the inside to look like gold! After all, a leprechaun can't resist gold! There was an awning and a porch and two doors. One door was stationary and the other only pushed in and then sprung shut, so that when the leprechaun went in to get the gold, he'd be stuck inside!! (Quite the little engineer, huh!) Her dad even helped her rig up a yellow LED light to a batter pack with a switch! She did all the soldering and had a great time putting it together. Didn't she do a good job?!

The bright spot in the back is the light to shine off the gold and make it look EXTRA shinny!
Gluing on the batter pack.
She had a great time putting it together. But yesterday, she discovered the leprechauns had been to the school and had left a mess in her classroom that she and her friends had to clean up! (She was not happy about that!) She was very disappointed that NO ONE had caught a leprechaun. And when I asked if they had left anything in her trap, she said, very disgustedly, "Only candy!" and huffed off. (She's not my candy girl.) So I don't know if this project ruined her - doing something only to be let down (which, of course, is part of life) - or if she's now more determined to catch one next year. I guess we'll see! Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

5 comments:

Bobbi said...

So creative--I think I would have been disappointed too! Her trap would have definitely caught one of those tricky little leprechauns!

Jason and Amanda said...

Haha That is very creative trap. How cute!

LindsC said...

I love the picture of all you girls in green, the trap is way too cute, and I wish I had a swimming pool day, what a blast!

Leslie said...

So cute! I officially "suck"....because I forgot it was St. Patricks Day! We didnt even wear green! Good thing you guys did!

THE BOWMAN'S said...

St. Patrick's Day just didn't live up to all the hype did it? Kiana was so excited to wear all of her green to preschool but was disgusted with her teacher for telling her that the leprechauns had brought their snack that day ("I told my teacher that leprechauns are NOT REAL and that she just used green food coloring but she didn't believe me!") I love the swimming pool day! Looks like you guys are having fun!